IT Help Desk
IT Survival Guide
Popular Support Topics
Make sure you're not signed in with any other Google Account before you try to sign in with your WarriorMail credentials. Sometimes, it helps to use an In-Private browsing window to rule out any other account issues.
Account Credential Problems
We CANNOT send any usernames or passwords via email or other electronic medium and can only be provided to the student. Have your student ID and WarriorMail Address available when you call the RLC Help Desk during our normal operating hours using the information, below.
IT Help Desk is unable to resolve issues within courses. Please reach out to your instructor if your class is not on your dashboard. If you are unable to reach your instructor or cannot locate class information, contact Student Services for further assistance
Information Technology provides students, faculty and staff computer equipment, network access and technical support. Common issues include:
- Learning Resource Center online resources
- Account Password Resets - Student can visit the Password Reset Portal to change their password (IF they know their current password.) Students must enroll first, then they will be able to change their password at any time, even if they do not remember what it currently is.) Students may also call the Help Desk during regular business hours have assistance with enrolling or changing their password.
Submit A Request
By Phone: (618) 437-5321 Ext. 1259 | Submit Request Online
When emailing the help desk, please add a phone number for a quicker response.
Monday – Thursday: 8 am - 4:30 pm Friday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Closed Saturday - Sunday
Student Support Topics
Canvas Minimum Requirements
|Minimum System Requirements||Minimum System Requirements|
|Operating System:||Windows XP SP2(Home or Professional)||Operating System:||OS X (10.5)|
|Processor||2.0 GHz (single core)
|Processor||PowerPC G5 or G4 (867 MHz and faster) processor|
|RAM||1 GB||RAM||512 MB|
|Hard Drive Capacity||40GB||Hard Drive Capacity||40GB|
|Video RAM||128MB||Video RAM||128MB|
|Recommended System Requirements||Recommended System Requirements|
Windows 7 (Home or Professional)
|Operating System||OS X (10.6)|
|Processor||2.0 GHz (multi-core)||Processor||Intel processor Core 2 Duo|
|RAM||2 GB||RAM||2 GB|
|Video RAM||256 MB||Video RAM||Nvidia or ATI graphics Card|
|Hard Drive Capacity||80GB||Hard Drive Capacity||80GB|
Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
|Internet Explorer® 9||Internet Explorer 8||Firefox (Final Release Channel)||Firefox 3.6||Chrome (Stable Channel)|
|Windows® XP (32-bit)||Unsupported||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible|
|Windows Vista® (32-bit)||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Compatible||Compatible|
|Windows Vista (64-bit)||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible|
|Windows 7 (32-bit)||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Compatible||Certified|
|Windows 7 (64-bit)||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible|
Apple® Mac OS® Operating System
|Safari® 5.1||Safari 5.0||Safari 4.0||Firefox (Final Release Channel)||Firefox 3.6||Chrome (Stable Channel)|
|Mac OSX 10.5 "Leopard®"||Unsupported||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible|
|Mac OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard®"||Compatible||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Compatible||Certified|
|Mac OSX 10.7 "Lion®"||Compatible||Unsupported||Unsupported||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible|
- Canvas strives to make all its products as accessible as possible. JAWS for Windows 11 and 12 were used during accessibility testing.
- Canvas Learn requires the latest version of Sun JRE 6. The JRE can be downloaded from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp. JRE 7 is not supported.
- The following technologies are not supported:
- Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7
- Firefox 1.x, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5
- Safari 2.0, 3.x (or any version on Windows)
- Mac OSX 10.4 "Tiger"
- Java 5
- Internet Explorer 8 and Internet Explorer 9 are tested in Standards Mode. Some known issues can be resolved by using Compatibility Mode (emulates IE7 behavior).
- Both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox have moved to a rapid release cycle. At the time of testing, Chrome 16.0 and Firefox 9.0 were the latest available versions. Since then, new stable versions may have been released and widely adopted. Canvas is supporting all newer stable versions of Chrome and Firefox.
Canvas vs OSRS
Online Student Record System (OSRS)
Students at RLC have two online accounts, one for OSRS and one for Canvas. OSRS is used for retrieving information about your RLC account, such as grades, schedules, or an unofficial transcript. Your OSRS is created when you enroll. Your username and password for OSRS are the same ones you use to access Canvas. If you forget your OSRS password, call the help desk, 618-437-5321 ext. 1259 for assistance.
The OSRS login is located at www.rlc.edu/myrlc or from the "Online Access" menu on most RLC.edu pages.
Canvas is RLC's online course management software suite. All RLC online courses, and several face-to-face courses will use Canvas to easily pass information from instructor to student. Your Canvas account will be created by RLC staff. Each student should have a maximum of one Canvas account. Call the help desk if you encounter any issues with this. Your Canvas account will remain the same regardless of how many semesters or how many online courses you enroll in at RLC. If you forget your Canvas password, call the help desk, 618-437-5321 ext. 1259 for assistance.
To access Canvas, visit canvas.rlc.edu or click "Canvas" in the "MyRLC" menu at the top of all RLC.edu pages.
Accessing the Learning Resource Center Off-Campus
In order to be able to access the Electronic Library away from the campus you will need to use your student credentials.
When you access the Electronic Library away from the campus you will use the same information you use to log onto your Canvas, Online Student Records, and Warrior Mail Accounts.
Your login name is your last name, first initial, and last 4 digits of your Warrior tag.
Your password is one that the computer-generated or the one that you set up.
You will be asked for this information when you click the links within the Electronic Library.
If you need further assistance with your account contact
IT Help Desk Technician–
(618) 437-5321 xt 1259
(618) 437-5321 xt 1276
General Web Site Help
RLC.edu has changed! The new home page has been designed to offer users faster access to all areas of RLC.edu. All areas of RLC.edu are accessible from the menu system on the homepage, which is identical to the menu above (in red). Simply "hover" over the menu name and a menu will appear, then click on the option you want.
For example, to check grades online, hover over "Online Access," the first menu option is "Online Student Records." Point to this option on the menu and click.
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions for the new RLC.edu, email an Information Technology Specialist!
Our Staff> >
Acceptable Usage Policy
Rend Lake College provides wireless access subject to the following Acceptable Usage Policy, which may be updated periodically. This policy outlines acceptable use of the Rend Lake College wireless service, as well as permissible and prohibited conduct for using the service to access the Internet.
It is the responsibility of all who access Rend Lake College’s wireless network ("users," "you," or "your"), to comply with all Rend Lake College wireless policies.
It is the responsibility of the wireless network user to install software to protect personal devices from external threats such as viruses, spam, and other methods of intrusion.
Rend Lake College reserves the right to immediately terminate a user’s access to the wireless service if the user engages in any of the prohibited activities listed in this AUP or if the service is used in a way which is contrary to the policies of Rend Lake College or any of Rend Lake College’s bandwidth providers.
Prohibited Uses and ActivitiesProhibited uses include, but are not limited to, using the service, customer equipment, or Rend Lake College’s wireless equipment to:
- undertake or accomplish any unlawful purpose. This includes, but is not limited to, posting, storing, transmitting or disseminating information, data or material which is libelous, obscene, unlawful, threatening, or defamatory; which infringes the intellectual property rights of any person or entity; or which in any way constitutes or encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any local, provincial, federal or international law, order or regulation;
- post, store, send, transmit, or disseminate any information or material which a reasonable person could deem to be objectionable, offensive, indecent, pornographic, harassing, threatening, embarrassing, distressing, vulgar, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive, or otherwise inappropriate, regardless of whether this material or its dissemination is unlawful;
- access any other person's computer or computer system, software, or data without their knowledge and consent; breach the security of another user; or attempt to circumvent the user authentication or security of any host, network, or account. This includes, but is not limited to, accessing data not intended for you, logging into or making use of a server or account you are not expressly authorized to access, or probing the security rights of other hosts, networks, or accounts;
- use or distribute tools designed or used for compromising security, such as password guessing programs, decoders, password gatherers, unauthorized keystroke loggers, analyzers, cracking tools, packet sniffers, encryption circumvention devices, or Trojan Horse programs. Network probing or port scanning tools are strictly prohibited. Special permission may be granted for Rend Lake College technology classes that incorporate wireless spectrum analysis and access point identification as part of their curriculum;
- upload, post, publish, transmit, reproduce, create derivative works of, or distribute in any way information, software or other material obtained through the service or otherwise that is protected by copyright or other proprietary right, without obtaining permission of the owner;
- copy, distribute, or sublicense any software provided in connection with the service by Rend Lake College or any third party;
- restrict, inhibit, or otherwise interfere with the ability of any other person, regardless of intent, purpose, or knowledge, to use or enjoy the service, including, without limitation, posting or transmitting any information or software which contains a worm, virus, or other harmful feature, or generating levels of traffic sufficient to impede others' ability to send or retrieve information;
- restrict, inhibit, interfere with, or otherwise disrupt or cause a performance degradation, regardless of intent, purpose or knowledge, to any Rend Lake College wireless (or Rend Lake College wireless supplier) host, server, backbone network, node or service, or facilities used to deliver the service;
- make available to anyone outside the premises the ability to use the service (i.e. Wi-Fi, or other methods of networking), in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, or on a bundled or unbundled basis, without Rend Lake College’s knowledge and agreement;
- transmit unsolicited bulk or commercial messages or "spam." This includes, but is not limited to, unsolicited advertising, promotional materials or other solicitation material, bulk mailing of commercial advertising, chain mail, informational announcements, charity requests, and petitions for signatures;
- send numerous copies of the same or substantially similar messages, empty messages, or messages which contain no substantive content, or send very large messages or files to a recipient that disrupts a server, account, newsgroup, or chat service;
- distribute programs that remove locks or time-outs built into software (cracks);
- run programs, equipment, or servers from the premises that provide network content or other services to anyone outside of the Local Area Network. Examples of prohibited services and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;
- initiate, perpetuate, or in any way participate in any pyramid or other illegal soliciting scheme;
- participate in the collection of e-mail addresses, screen names, or other identifiers, a practice sometimes known as spidering or harvesting, or participate in the use of software (including spyware) designed to facilitate this activity;
- collect responses from unsolicited messages;
- impersonate any person or entity, engage in sender address falsification, forge anyone else's digital or manual signature, or perform any other similar fraudulent activity;
- service, alter, modify, or tamper with the Rend Lake College wireless equipment or service or permit any other person to do the same who is not authorized by Rend Lake College
- collect or attempt to collect, personal information about third parties without their consent;
- interfere with computer networking or telecommunications service to any user, host or network, including, without limitation, denial of service attacks, flooding of a network, overloading a service, improper seizing and abuse of operator privileges and attempts to "crash" a host; and
- violate the rules, regulations, or policies applicable to any network, server, computer database, or Web site that you access.
SecurityIn all cases, the user is solely responsible for the security of any personal device connected to the service, including any data stored or shared on that device. Rend Lake College recommends against enabling file or printer sharing unless you do so in strict compliance with all security recommendations and features provided by Rend Lake College and the manufacturer of the applicable file or printer sharing devices. Any files or devices made available for shared access on a home LAN, for example, should be protected with a strong password or as otherwise appropriated.
Phone: (618) 437-5321 Ext. 1259
Toll-free (In-District): 1-800-369-5321 Ext. 1259
Address: 468 N. Ken Gray Parkway, Ina, IL 62846 Attn: IT Help Desk
Fax Number: (618) 437-5677 Attn: IT Help Desk